Sole Focus

News, Views, Rantings & Ramblings by Carey Parrish

My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

Monday, June 1, 2009

More Random Foci

So much going on. Both personally, professionally, and in the news as a whole. I seem to be in a whirlwind of activity these days. My first book signing, to promote my new anthology The Moving Finger Writes. I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles as my birthday gift to myself next month. I have so many friends out in L.A. and I really want to go and visit them. Some of them I've been talking to for years and have yet to meet. This is going to be a blast!
I was disappointed on Saturday when Susan Boyle didn't win Britain's Got Talent. I know she came in second and I know her future is secure, but for her not to win after all she's gone through and all the hoopla that has been going on around her was a let down indeed. Now the poor thing has checked into a clinic to be treated for exhaustion. Who can blame her? She went from complete obscurity to the most famous woman in the world overnight. Everybody was following her every move. She was under tremendous pressure in the finals of the show and she may not have given as stirring a performance of "I Dreamed A Dream" as she did for her audition, but the accompaniment was different and she didn't get to perform the entire song this time. Yet she took second place and, as I said, she is bound to be on to bigger and better things. But still, I felt bad for her.
I won't even go into how I feel about the all the shouting that Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh are doing these days. Those two are behaving like complete bufoons and they are together doing more to ruin their party than anybody else. I cannot comprehend what they think they are going to accomplish. People are lampooning them left and right. Their agenda is laughable. I have a feeling that Mr. Cheney is afraid of something and he's using this media frenzy to try and make things look like less than what they were when Mr. Bush was in office. Rush...Who can say? He's become completely irrelevant and his ramblings are just ludicrous. He has nothing else to move on to because without his radio show he has nothing else to do. Though someone in the Republican party needs to tell both of them to shut the hell up. They aren't helping anything or anybody.
And what about all this hubbub over Sonia Sotomayor's appointment as the newest Supreme Court nominee? I get a chuckle every time I see something on the news about how the Republicans are grappling to come up with a way to muddy her name. That bit about her remarks years ago concerning her abilities as a judge is a non-topic. I would think people would be more concerned with whether or not she is capable of fairly applying the law than anything else. Isn't that what our highest court is supposed to do?
I've already said my peace about upholding Proposition 8, but I will take this opportunity to again state that those who created this mess are going to be the ones who come out with the short end of the stick. People are not stupid and all over the country, California included, the illegal and unfair consequences of this act are going over like a lead balloon. Next year, when the amendment to repeal Proposition 8 goes on the California ballot, I have a strong feeling that the outcome is going to leave those who started this fray crying foul. But hey...The people will have spoken and the California Supreme Court evidently isn't in the business of going against what the people want. So they'll just have to live with it.
Big whoop about President and Mrs. Obama taking a date night to New York. I don't want to hear any complaining about that when the Bush administration used our tax dollars to torture people. No more to say on either count.
Okay, that's enough ranting and rambling for now. I have to get back to work. So much to do and so little time to accomplish it all. Good thing I enjoy a challenge, eh?
And this is my sole focus for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home