Sole Focus

News, Views, Rantings & Ramblings by Carey Parrish

My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Problems Viewing Web Digest Weekly

Good morning, everyone. Over the past few months I have received notification from a few friends that the Spotlight page at WDW appears wonky and out of focus with overlapping text and images not configuring appropriately. I began complaining to my webhost about the issue and they continually cited browser incompatibilities as the issue, as several of my friends I have been hearing from use Safari, Firefox, Chrome browsers, etc. I use Internet Explorer and have checked the site on several different computers, asking my friends and family members who use IE to do the same, and with Internet Explorer no one I have consulted has had any problem viewing the site. When I view them from the three computers I routinely use the page always looks as I designed it.
Last week a friend consulted his web master on the issue for me. I then called my webhost again with the suggestions and we spent three days redesigning the entire site, using less photos, and simpler format in regards to background and fonts. I don't layer anything on the pages when I build them and the photos are always resized to fit the areas where they are inserted. My hope was that the redesign would clear up the issues that viewers using Macs or other browsers were having, as I know other websites publish to the internet without difficulty. Alas, the efforts seem to have failed as I asked a friend to check WDW's Spotlight and Last Week pages after last night's update and there are still problems with overlapping text and photos covering the text boxes. I was at a loss.I got back in touch with my webhost again last night after hearing from my friend and got a new tech support person who checked the issues I complained about and I received this reply:
Hello James,Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Small Business Support.We understand that you receive complaints from your usersregarding viewing some pages. We checked with the spotlight page and last week's page on chrome, safari,firefox and internet explorer and they appeared fine. There are no over lappings and all images and text looks distinct and perfect. We guess that the problem might be with the browser from which your usersaccess your site.
Ask your users to clear the cookies and cache files ontheir browser and retry accessing your site. Some times cookies and temporary files will be causing these kinds of issues.We hope this should resolve your issue.
Please let us know if we can offer any further assistance.
Regards,
Paul
Yahoo! Small Business Support
If anyone has any suggestions as to how to approach the problem at this point, please get in touch with me, either via email or phone. This is a very annoying issue that I am now at a complete loss as to how to approach, other than changing webhosts. I have the most current version of my sitebuilding software, I only use formats suggested by the webhost, I don't layer material on the site, and have no trouble viewing it myself. So, as you can see, the issue is out of my area of expertise.
Thank you for reading this and as I said, if anyone has any suggestions, please get in touch with me.
Thanks,
Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home