Sole Focus

News, Views, Rantings & Ramblings by Carey Parrish

My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Picking Fruit With Arthur Wooten

One of the highest points of my trip to New York this past weekend was getting to spend time with Arthur Wooten. Arthur has been one of my best writer pals for the last three years. He is the author of the popular novels On Picking Fruit and its sequel Fruit Cocktail. He’s also written several plays and one of them, Birthday Pie, is being made into a movie with the involvement of Phylicia Rashad and Debbie Allen. To call Arthur accomplished is an understatement. The man is a powerhouse!

There was no way I was going to leave New York without seeing Arthur. We have been chatting on the phone and emailing each other for so long that it was hard to believe we’d never met. Yet when we finally did it seemed that we had known each other for much longer than we actually have.

Arthur is a fellow Survivor fan and when I found out that I could take a guest with me to the finale I immediately thought of him. I was only going to be in town for two days and I knew Arthur would want to go with me, so I contacted him as soon as I got the news! I was thrilled when he accepted.

Arthur treated me to a wonderful dinner at an exquisite little place between 46th and 47th Streets called Basilica. The atmosphere was undeniably delicious, the food, which was Italian, was out of this world, and wine lingered beautifully on the palate all evening long. Arthur and I had the best talk over dinner. I was surprised to discover that I wasn’t what he expected. I have a very wry sense of humor and I often say what’s on my mind before my brain catches up with my mouth, and this was not what Arthur thought I would be like. I am happy to report that he is as irreverent as I am when it comes to humorous observations. We had a delightful time going on about anything and everything we thought of as we ate.

After the meal, we walked over to the Ed Sullivan Theater and checked in outside at the welcome table. We received out bracelets to let everyone know we were supposed to be there and then we were taken inside where we had seats with a wonderful view. The show was everything we hoped it would be and getting to enjoy it together is something I know I will never forget and I think Arthur feels the same way I do about the evening.

We parted after the show. It was getting late and Arthur walked with me outside where we shared a nice hug while I thanked him for the fantastic dinner and he thanked me for taking him along to the finale. As if I would have asked anyone else! I just couldn’t be in New York without seeing Arthur. His writing has been entertaining me for as long as his friendship has blessed my life. He’s a special guy any way you look at it. Having him along for the evening made a perfect experience that much more special.

Picking fruit with Arthur Wooten is something I will always remember and I hope it is the beginning of many such times together. Good friends have been a wonderful part of my life since I started this crazy ride as a professional writer. I am a fortunate man indeed to call people like Arthur my friend.

So Arthur, thank you so much for making my Big Apple weekend complete. Your presence in my life is something I treasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home